Saturday, September 9, 2017

Rough Draft

The Sheriff......

After Hedi had gone, Michael looked over at the Sheriff
"What's on your mind Sheriff?"
"Michael that was dangerous"
"I can take care of myself" Michael said
"I know you can, and that's not what I mean"
"What do you mean then?"
"I agree to let you stay here, knowing about your past as I do, but I don't need you bringing your troubled past to my little town"
"I don't see how tonight could do that" Michael said
"You don't seem to realize those boys were part of a bigger group who rode into town a few days ago"
Michael started to see the connections.
"You mean that big Cowboy and the slick one"
"Yea I do, The Big one is called Big John and the slick one is his brother Frank, he is a killer, supposedly killed 12 men, they are Ranchers from Adams County"
"Why are they here?" Michael asked
"I have no idea, but I bet it ain't going benefit us"
"Look Michael, all I'm saying is this, Keep your head low for a few days and those boys will be gone"
Michael hated to crawl, but he saw what the Sheriff was getting at.
"I don't like it, but I will Sheriff, I not looking for trouble"
"Michael I know your an honest man, But give me your word"
"Sheriff there is no need for that"
The Sheriff stood his ground putting his hands on his hips
"Shoot, Ok Sheriff I'll keep it on the down and low for a few days, I've got a boy to get mended anyway"
"What?" the Sheriff asked
"Didn't the Doc tell you?, I found this kid on my porch a few days ago, he had been beaten badly and shot through the shoulder"
"You know that old coot doesn't say anything about anything, Doc ethic's or something"
"Well he is mending fast and probably be on his way in a week or so, I'll loan him a horse to make it easier"
"Did he say who did it?"
Michael decided it would be better to forgo mentioning about the Cowboys who came looking for him
"Nope he said it was too dark, but they got nothing for their troubles" he said
"So he's just a drifter?"
"I'd assume, Yea" Michael said
The Sheriff cocked his head to the side as if he was hearing some little voice talking to him.
"Well you know you'll probably never see that horse again"
"Kind of figured I'd give him old broom"
The Sheriff chuckled at that "Yea well nothing lost is nothing gained"
"Have a good night Michael and tell Hedi, she sounded lovely tonight"
Michael stood there for a minute, soaking in the night air finally turning to the Sheriff "Well you old coot, you were outside all along?"
"Michael this is my town and not much gets past me"
Turning with that, he yelled up at the swinging doors "Let's go boy we've rounds to finish up"
Michael smiled as he turned and headed for Hedi's place.
There goes a good man Michael thought

Hedi loved touching Michael the morning after they had made love, it was a time that he felt almost human.
But this wasn't morning and this wasn't one of those times, this was now and Michael was pulling on his boots.
She noticed His shirt was unbuttoned and hanging out of his pants as he stood, his muscles stood out, so defined as if he was chiseled from a statue.
But what took away from his phycic was the scares, he looked to been cut, shot and God knows what.
Taking her eyes way from his body.
"Whats wrong?" she asked
"Something isn't right"
She could hear the strain in his voice as the words left his mouth
"Do you want me to come?"
"No, I can't watch out for you and myself"
"What do you need Michael?"
Looking at her with those eyes of his he said "I need you to get out of town as fast as you can, get to the stables and buy a horse, I'll give you some money"
Reaching into his pocket he handed her enough to buy a horse
"You know, old Chuck probably won't even wake up"
"You make sure he does Hedi"
"I want you to ride up to Blue Gulch to the Cabin and wait for me"
"Michael please your starting to scare me"
"I've got to go Hedi, now promise me"
"Will you come soon, Michael"
Michael thought about it for a second
"Yea I will, now git"
"Well kiss me first"
Michael pulled her into his arms and kissed her madly
After a minute Hedi pulled back
"Hey your kissing me like it's the first time we kissed"
Michael just snuggled deeper into her neck, smelling the flowerily fragrance she wore, trying  to take in a lifetime of remembrance in that moment.
Pulling back Hedi thought she saw tears on Michael's face but he turned too quickly for her to be sure.
"Michael are you Ok"
"Yes Hedi, now get going"
As he slipped out the door into night, he knew in his heart this might be the last time he ever saw her.




No comments:

Post a Comment